Monday, October 14, 2013

Coriolanus Act Five – “Though in this city he hath widow’d and unchilded many a one… yet he shall have a noble memory.”


Coriolanus Act Five – “Though in this city he hath widow’d and unchilded many a one… yet he shall have a noble memory.”
We start Act Five of ‘Coriolanus’ in Rome where Menenius and Cominius tell the tribunes Brutus and Sicinius that they believe this crisis which looks like bringing the destruction of Rome is their fault. Brutus and Sicinius convince Mememius to try to talk to Coriolanus and reason with him. Mememius consents:
“I'll undertake 't:
I think he'll hear me. Yet, to bite his lip
And hum at good Cominius, much unhearts me.
He was not taken well; he had not dined:
The veins unfill'd, our blood is cold, and then
We pout upon the morning, are unapt
To give or to forgive; but when we have stuff'd
These and these conveyances of our blood
With wine and feeding, we have suppler souls
Than in our priest-like fasts: therefore I'll watch him
Till he be dieted to my request,
And then I'll set upon him.”
At the Volscian camp, Menenius arrives and is refused entry. Then Coriolanus arrives and Menenius makes his pleas but Coriolanus rejects Memenius, his own wife and mother and Rome and gives Memenius a letter:
Wife, mother, child, I know not. My affairs
Are servanted to others: though I owe
My revenge properly, my remission lies
In Volscian breasts. That we have been familiar,
Ingrate forgetfulness shall poison, rather
Than pity note how much. Therefore, be gone.
Mine ears against your suits are stronger than
Your gates against my force. Yet, for I loved thee,
Take this along; I writ it for thy sake (gives a letter)
And would have rent it. Another word, Menenius,
I will not hear thee speak. This man, Aufidius,
Was my beloved in Rome: yet thou behold'st!'”
Coriolanus exits and Aufidius leaves remarking that he himself has lost the will to care anymore and that Coriolanus seems to be steadfast in his own will:
“I neither care for the world nor your general: for
such things as you, I can scarce think there's any,
ye're so slight. He that hath a will to die by
himself fears it not from another: let your general
do his worst. For you, be that you are, long; and
your misery increase with your age! I say to you,
as I was said to, Away!”

Back at his tent, Coriolanus’s fortitude grows:
“We will before the walls of Rome tomorrow
Set down our host. My partner in this action,
You must report to the Volscian lords, how plainly
I have borne this business…
This last old man,
Whom with a crack'd heart I have sent to Rome,
Loved me above the measure of a father;
Nay, godded me, indeed. Their latest refuge
Was to send him; for whose old love I have,
Though I show'd sourly to him, once more offer'd
The first conditions, which they did refuse
And cannot now accept; to grace him only
That thought he could do more, a very little
I have yielded to: fresh embassies and suits,
Nor from the state nor private friends, hereafter
Will I lend ear to. Ha! what shout is this?  (shouts within)
Shall I be tempted to infringe my vow
In the same time 'tis made? I will not.”

Suddenly, Coriolanus’s family arrive, Virgilia, Volumnia, Valeria, and Young Martius, Coriolanus's son. Coriolanus says he will not listen to what they have to say. His mother kneels before him and begs him to make peace. And says that she will physically block him if he tries to enter Rome. Coriolanus eventually relents and decides to attempt to make peace. Aufidius tells the audience at this point that he now has an opportunity to eliminate the Roman general.
In Rome, Menenius tells Sicinius that all is lost and then the news arrives that the women have succeeded and Rome is saved. Volumnia is seen as a hero.
In Antium, Aufidius prepare to kill Coriolanus, who is considered a hero for avoiding war. Coriolanus enters and Aufidius denounces him as a traitor. Coriolanus, loses his temper and curses Aufidius. Aufidius shouts at Coriolanus and then Coriolanus is stabbed and falls down dead. Finally showing some remorse, Aufidius joins his men to carry through the city, the body of Coriolanus:
“My lords, when you shall know--as in this rage,
Provoked by him, you cannot--the great danger
Which this man's life did owe you, you'll rejoice
That he is thus cut off. Please it your honours
To call me to your senate, I'll deliver
Myself your loyal servant, or endure
Your heaviest censure…
My rage is gone;
And I am struck with sorrow. Take him up.
Help, three o' the chiefest soldiers; I'll be one.
Beat thou the drum, that it speak mournfully:
Trail your steel pikes. Though in this city he
Hath widow'd and unchilded many a one,
Which to this hour bewail the injury,
Yet he shall have a noble memory. Assist.
(Exeunt, bearing the body of CORIOLANUS. A dead march sounded)”

No comments:

Post a Comment