Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Tempest Act Five – “Now my charms are all o'erthrown,
 and what strength I have's mine own.”


The Tempest Act Five – “Now my charms are all o'erthrown,
 and what strength I have's mine own.
Act Five of ‘The Tempest’ starts with Ariel telling Prospero that it was now sunset and 6pm and that Prospero had promised to release Ariel by this time. Prospero agrees that he had said this when he first raised the tempest but then asks Ariel how the king and the lords were doing. Ariel reveals that they are safe in the grove and that Gonzalo was weeping constantly:
Confined together
In the same fashion as you gave in charge,
Just as you left them; all prisoners, sir,
In the line-grove which weather-fends your cell;
They cannot budge till your release. The king,
His brother and yours, abide all three distracted
And the remainder mourning over them,
Brimful of sorrow and dismay; but chiefly
Him that you term'd, sir, 'The good old lord Gonzalo;'
His tears run down his beard, like winter's drops
From eaves of reeds. Your charm so strongly works 'em
That if you now beheld them, your affections
Would become tender.”
Prospero commands Ariel to let the men go and Ariel exits. Shakespeare then gives Prospero his most well-known soliloquy where he decides to give up his magic:
Ye elves of hills, brooks, standing lakes and groves,
And ye that on the sands with printless foot
Do chase the ebbing Neptune and do fly him
When he comes back; you demi-puppets that
By moonshine do the green sour ringlets make,
Whereof the ewe not bites, and you whose pastime
Is to make midnight mushrooms, that rejoice
To hear the solemn curfew; by whose aid,
Weak masters though ye be, I have bedimm'd
The noontide sun, call'd forth the mutinous winds,
And 'twixt the green sea and the azured vault
Set roaring war: to the dread rattling thunder
Have I given fire and rifted Jove's stout oak
With his own bolt; the strong-based promontory
Have I made shake and by the spurs pluck'd up
The pine and cedar: graves at my command
Have waked their sleepers, oped, and let 'em forth
By my so potent art. But this rough magic
I here abjure, and, when I have required
Some heavenly music, which even now I do,
To work mine end upon their senses that
This airy charm is for, I'll break my staff,
Bury it certain fathoms in the earth,
And deeper than did ever plummet sound
I'll drown my book.”
Ariel then re-enters with Alonso, Gonzalo, Sebastian, Antonio and others who are all under a spell, and form a circle. While they are still in a trance, Prospero speaks to them all praising some like Gonzalo:
A solemn air and the best comforter
To an unsettled fancy cure thy brains,
Now useless, boil'd within thy skull! There stand,
For you are spell-stopp'd.
Holy Gonzalo, honourable man,
Mine eyes, even sociable to the show of thine,
Fall fellowly drops. The charm dissolves apace,
And as the morning steals upon the night,
Melting the darkness, so their rising senses
Begin to chase the ignorant fumes that mantle
Their clearer reason. O good Gonzalo,
My true preserver, and a loyal sir
To him you follow'st! I will pay thy graces
Home both in word and deed. Most cruelly
Didst thou, Alonso, use me and my daughter:
Thy brother was a furtherer in the act.
Thou art pinch'd fort now, Sebastian. Flesh and blood,
You, brother mine, that entertain'd ambition,
Expell'd remorse and nature; who, with Sebastian,
Whose inward pinches therefore are most strong,
Would here have kill'd your king; I do forgive thee,
Unnatural though thou art. Their understanding
Begins to swell, and the approaching tide
Will shortly fill the reasonable shore
That now lies foul and muddy. Not one of them
That yet looks on me, or would know me Ariel,
Fetch me the hat and rapier in my cell:
I will discase me, and myself present
As I was sometime Milan: quickly, spirit;
Thou shalt ere long be free.”
Prospero then sends Ariel to get, from his cell, the clothes he had worn years ago as the Duke of Milan. Ariel exits and quickly returns with Prospero’s clothes and helps him to put these clothes on. Prospero reinforces his promise to Ariel to release him and asks Ariel to fetch the Boatswain and other sailors from the ship.
Why, that's my dainty Ariel! I shall miss thee:
But yet thou shalt have freedom: so, so, so.
To the king's ship, invisible as thou art:
There shalt thou find the mariners asleep
Under the hatches; the master and the boatswain
Being awake, enforce them to this place,
And presently, I prithee.”
Then Prospero undoes the spell he has on Alonso, Gonzalo, Sebastian and Antonio and reveals himself and forgives his brother Antonio asks Antonio to give back Prospero’s dukedom. Alonso tells Prospero of Ferdinand who went missing in the tempest. Prospero reveals to Alonso that he has also lost his own daughter:
For the like loss I have her sovereign aid
And rest myself content…
As great to me as late; and, supportable
To make the dear loss, have I means much weaker
Than you may call to comfort you, for I
Have lost my daughter..”
Alonso is sympathetic but caught up in his own loss of his son. Then Prospero pulls across to reveal Ferdinand and Miranda playing chess. Alonso is shocked and happy. Miranda is over-the-moon to see so many people. Alonso is also happy and he hugs his son and asks Miranda’s forgiveness for what he did twelve years ago. Prospero tells Alonso to stop apologizing and forgives all and even asks Ariel to set Caliban and his friends free:
Sir, my liege,
Do not infest your mind with beating on
The strangeness of this business; at pick'd leisure
Which shall be shortly, single I'll resolve you,
Which to you shall seem probable, of every
These happen'd accidents; till when, be cheerful
And think of each thing well. (Aside to ARIEL)
Come hither, spirit:
Set Caliban and his companions free;
Untie the spell. (Exit ARIEL)
How fares my gracious sir?
There are yet missing of your company
Some few odd lads that you remember not.”
Ariel brings the Boatswain and mariners and then brings Caliban, Trinculo, and Stephano in but they are told to return the clothes they stole. Prospero then invites Alonso and his company to stay the night. He will tell them the tale of his last twelve years, and in the morning, they can all set out for Naples, where Miranda and Ferdinand will be married. It is revealed that after the wedding, Prospero will return to Milan, where he plans to contemplate the end of his life. The last charge Prospero gives to Ariel before setting him free is to make sure the trip home is made on “calm seas”.
Everyone except Prospero exits and Prospero speaks a Epilogue:
Now my charms are all o'erthrown,
And what strength I have's mine own,
Which is most faint: now, 'tis true,
I must be here confined by you,
Or sent to Naples. Let me not,
Since I have my dukedom got
And pardon'd the deceiver, dwell
In this bare island by your spell;
But release me from my bands
With the help of your good hands:
Gentle breath of yours my sails
Must fill, or else my project fails,
Which was to please. Now I want
Spirits to enforce, art to enchant,
And my ending is despair,
Unless I be relieved by prayer,
Which pierces so that it assaults
Mercy itself and frees all faults.
As you from crimes would pardon'd be,
Let your indulgence set me free.”

No comments:

Post a Comment