Friday, November 22, 2013

The Tempest Act Two –“Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows.”


The Tempest Act Two –“Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows.

“Beseech you, sir, be merry; you have cause,
So have we all, of joy; for our escape
Is much beyond our loss. Our hint of woe
Is common; every day some sailor's wife,
The masters of some merchant and the merchant
Have just our theme of woe; but for the miracle,
I mean our preservation, few in millions
Can speak like us: then wisely, good sir, weigh
Our sorrow with our comfort.”
And so Act Two of ‘The Tempest’ begins with the ever-positive Gonzalo trying to cheer Antonio, Sebastian, Alonso, Adrian, Francisco and others up after their ordeal of the tempest and their ‘shipwreck’ on the island. Alonso is specifically unreceptive to Gonzalo’s positivity. Then Antonio and Sebastian mock Gonzalo’s feeling that this island is a godsend. The lighthearted banter ends when Alonso voices expresses regret at the marriage of his daughter in Tunis which led to this situation:
“You cram these words into mine ears against
The stomach of my sense. Would I had never
Married my daughter there! for, coming thence,
My son is lost and, in my rate, she too,
Who is so far from Italy removed
I ne'er again shall see her. O thou mine heir
Of Naples and of Milan, what strange fish
Hath made his meal on thee?”
Then another lord, Francisco, tries to give hope to Alonso when he tells of how he saw Alonso’s son, Ferdinand, swimming from the wreck:
“Sir, he may live:
I saw him beat the surges under him,
And ride upon their backs; he trod the water,
Whose enmity he flung aside, and breasted
The surge most swoln that met him; his bold head
'Bove the contentious waves he kept, and oar'd
Himself with his good arms in lusty stroke
To the shore, that o'er his wave-worn basis bow'd,
As stooping to relieve him: I not doubt
He came alive to land.”
Alonso does not think his son is alive and then Sebastian (with a strange combination of heartlessness and racism) tells his brother Alonso that the blame for Ferdinand’s death does sit with him since this would not have happened if had not married his daughter to an African.
“Sir, you may thank yourself for this great loss,
That would not bless our Europe with your daughter,
But rather lose her to an African;
Where she at least is banish'd from your eye,
Who hath cause to wet the grief on't…
You were kneel'd to and importuned otherwise
By all of us, and the fair soul herself
Weigh'd between loathness and obedience, at
Which end o' the beam should bow. We have lost your
son,
I fear, for ever: Milan and Naples have
More widows in them of this business' making
Than we bring men to comfort them:
The fault's your own.”
Gonzalo tries to diffuse these discussions by asking the question of what would each person do if he were lord of this island. Sebastian says he would “ 'Scape being drunk for want of wine.” Gonzalo then espouses his utopian view:
“I' the commonwealth I would by contraries
Execute all things; for no kind of traffic
Would I admit; no name of magistrate;
Letters should not be known; riches, poverty,
And use of service, none; contract, succession,
Bourn, bound of land, tilth, vineyard, none;
No use of metal, corn, or wine, or oil;
No occupation; all men idle, all;
And women too, but innocent and pure;
No sovereignty…
All things in common nature should produce
Without sweat or endeavour: treason, felony,
Sword, pike, knife, gun, or need of any engine,
Would I not have; but nature should bring forth,
Of its own kind, all foison, all abundance,
To feed my innocent people.
Antonio and Sebastian mock Gonzalo’s idealism.

Then Ariel enters and plays music that sends all of the men (except for Sebastian and Antonio) to sleep. Antonio (who years before had usurped Propsero’s position) looks at the others asleep and starts to try to convince Sebastian that he should kill his brother and usurp his title:
What a strange drowsiness possesses them!
They fell together all, as by consent;
They dropp'd, as by a thunder-stroke. What might,
Worthy Sebastian? O, what might?--No more:--
And yet me thinks I see it in thy face,
What thou shouldst be: the occasion speaks thee, and
My strong imagination sees a crown
Dropping upon thy head…
Noble Sebastian,
Thou let'st thy fortune sleep--die, rather; wink'st
Whiles thou art waking…
I am more serious than my custom: you
Must be so too, if heed me; which to do
Trebles thee o'er…
If you but knew how you the purpose cherish
Whiles thus you mock it! how, in stripping it,
You more invest it! Ebbing men, indeed,
Most often do so near the bottom run
By their own fear or sloth…
Thus, sir:
Although this lord of weak remembrance, this,
Who shall be of as little memory
When he is earth'd, hath here almost persuade,--
For he's a spirit of persuasion, only
Professes to persuade,--the king his son's alive,
'Tis as impossible that he's undrown'd
And he that sleeps here swims…
What great hope have you! no hope that way is
Another way so high a hope that even
Ambition cannot pierce a wink beyond,
But doubt discovery there. Will you grant with me
That Ferdinand is drown'd?
Then, tell me,
Who's the next heir of Naples?
She that is queen of Tunis; she that dwells
Ten leagues beyond man's life; she that from Naples
Can have no note, unless the sun were post--
The man i' the moon's too slow--till new-born chins
Be rough and razorable; she that--from whom?
We all were sea-swallow'd, though some cast again,
And by that destiny to perform an act
Whereof what's past is prologue, what to come
In yours and my discharge…
Say, this were death
That now hath seized them; why, they were no worse
Than now they are. There be that can rule Naples
As well as he that sleeps; lords that can prate
As amply and unnecessarily
As this Gonzalo; I myself could make
A chough of as deep chat. O, that you bore
The mind that I do! what a sleep were this
For your advancement! Do you understand me?
And how does your content
Tender your own good fortune?
Here lies your brother,
No better than the earth he lies upon,
If he were that which now he's like, that's dead;
Whom I, with this obedient steel, three inches of it,
Can lay to bed for ever; whiles you, doing thus,
To the perpetual wink for aye might put
This ancient morsel, this Sir Prudence, who
Should not upbraid our course. For all the rest,
They'll take suggestion as a cat laps milk;
They'll tell the clock to any business that
We say befits the hour…”

Sebastian sees the logic of Antonio’s argument and they draw their swords. However, Sebastian hesitates and Ariel renenters and singing in Gonzalo’s ear that trouble is afoot and Gonzalo awakens shouting “Preserve the King!” Everyone else wakes up. Sebastian claims that Antonio and him drew their swords because they heard a “burst of bellowing like bulls”. Their story, over-alliterated as it is, seems to work but Gonzalo is still suspicious. Then everyone gets up and continues to search Ferdinand.

Meanwhile, we come across Caliban carrying wood for prospero and cursing the spirits that Prospero sends to torment him:
“All the infections that the sun sucks up
From bogs, fens, flats, on Prosper fall and make him
By inch-meal a disease! His spirits hear me
And yet I needs must curse. But they'll nor pinch,
Fright me with urchin--shows, pitch me i' the mire,
Nor lead me, like a firebrand, in the dark
Out of my way, unless he bid 'em; but
For every trifle are they set upon me;
Sometime like apes that mow and chatter at me
And after bite me, then like hedgehogs which
Lie tumbling in my barefoot way and mount
Their pricks at my footfall; sometime am I
All wound with adders who with cloven tongues
Do hiss me into madness.”
Caliban sees Trinculo (a jester who became shipwrecked but separated from the others) and thinks that Trinculo is another spirit who Prospero has sent to pinch and torment him. Caliban lies on the ground covering himself in a cloak. Trinculo looking for some cover from the storm discovers Caliban, muses at this ‘creature’ and decides to take cover under the same cloak with this creature:
Here's neither bush nor shrub, to bear off
any weather at all, and another storm brewing;
I hear it sing i' the wind: yond same black
cloud, yond huge one, looks like a foul
bombard that would shed his liquor. If it
should thunder as it did before, I know not
where to hide my head: yond same cloud cannot
choose but fall by pailfuls. What have we
here? a man or a fish? dead or alive? A fish:
he smells like a fish; a very ancient and fish-
like smell; a kind of not of the newest Poor-
John. A strange fish! Were I in England now,
as once I was, and had but this fish painted,
not a holiday fool there but would give a piece
of silver: there would this monster make a
man; any strange beast there makes a man:
when they will not give a doit to relieve a lame
beggar, they will lazy out ten to see a dead
Indian. Legged like a man and his fins like
arms! Warm o' my troth! I do now let loose
my opinion; hold it no longer: this is no fish,
but an islander, that hath lately suffered by a
thunderbolt. (Thunder)
Alas, the storm is come again! my best way is to
creep under his gaberdine; there is no other
shelter hereabouts: misery acquaints a man with
strange bed-fellows. I will here shroud till the
dregs of the storm be past.”

Then Stephano (a drunken butler) enters singing and drinking with a bottle in hand. He hears the cry of “Do not torment me!” and sees four legs sticking out from the cloak and thinks that he is looking at a four-legged monster. When the monster cries again, Stephano decides he will give the monster some relief with a drink of alcohol.
This is some monster of the isle with four legs, who
hath got, as I take it, an ague. Where the devil
should he learn our language? I will give him some
relief, if it be but for that. if I can recover him
and keep him tame and get to Naples with him, he's a
present for any emperor that ever trod on neat's leather…
He's in his fit now and does not talk after the
wisest. He shall taste of my bottle: if he have
never drunk wine afore will go near to remove his
fit. If I can recover him and keep him tame, I will
not take too much for him; he shall pay for him that
hath him, and that soundly.”
Trinculo, under the cloak with Caliban identifies the voice he hears as Stephano and speaks but Stephano thinks that this four-legged monster has two heads and two mouths and proceeds to pour alcohol into both of the monster’s mouths.
Four legs and two voices: a most delicate monster!
His forward voice now is to speak well of his
friend; his backward voice is to utter foul speeches
and to detract. If all the wine in my bottle will
recover him, I will help his ague. Come. Amen! I
will pour some in thy other mouth.”
Trinculo cries out again and Stephano pulls out Trinculo from under the cloak. They are happy to see one another and tell of how they survived. Caliban emerges and tells of how he thinks the alcohol is wonderful and he starts to worship Stephano like a God and he says that he will show them all the riches of the island.
I'll swear upon that bottle to be thy true subject;
for the liquor is not earthly…
Hast thou not dropp'd from heaven?
… I'll show thee every fertile inch o' th' island;
And I will kiss thy foot: I prithee, be my god…
I'll kiss thy foot; I'll swear myself thy subject…
I'll show thee the best springs; I'll pluck thee berries;
I'll fish for thee and get thee wood enough.
A plague upon the tyrant that I serve!
I'll bear him no more sticks, but follow thee,
Thou wondrous man…
I prithee, let me bring thee where crabs grow;
And I with my long nails will dig thee pignuts;
Show thee a jay's nest and instruct thee how
To snare the nimble marmoset; I'll bring thee
To clustering filberts and sometimes I'll get thee
Young scamels from the rock. Wilt thou go with me?”

Trinculo and Stephano decide that they will take advantage of their fortuitous control over this drunk and “most ridiculous monster”.

No comments:

Post a Comment